Tuesday, September 28, 2010

feeling forlorn about your figure drawing skills?

While Dr. Sketchy's has the cure! Dr. Sketchy's Anti-Art School is the drawing class that convenes at a bar near you. Artists get the opportunity to draw "glamorous underground performers" in sparkly revealing costumes. It's the figure drawing experience you always wish you had where the models are full of good humor and exude kitchy pin up goodness. My husband and I just attended our local chapter of Dr. Sketchy's and when I went  to their site I realized it is actually attend-able in 100 cities around the world!

How it worked,
We packed up our sketchbooks, pencils, and pens and sat down at the bar. The model came out wearing a  tiny costume with a vest that tied in front and a skirt made of two fabric panels. She had a raven haired wig with a headband and accessorised her look with a bow and suction cup arrow. There were a few warm up poses that were 2 minuets each, and then maybe two more poses for five minutes. The model did a fun little strip tease where she minimized her costume and after a small break did two longer poses for about 30 minuets each. I had not had a drawing session since college and I rarely sketch so the class was very beneficial. It is hard not to judge one's own drawings but I was very pleased with my last one. They are all quite loose and full of energy at least.
This is my best-est drawing from the class. I used a pink marker first to get more of the gestural lines and added pencil to get more detail.
Closing thoughts,
Unlike the studio drawing classes (in school) the atmosphere was much more just, fun. The addition of the costume was great and added a theme to the session. As an attendant you had the ability to draw what you wanted and focus on what you needed to get out of the class. Whether it was  how many drawings you did or how technical you wanted your drawings to be. The atmosphere was relaxed but still professional and respectful. I would and will go back again!

so join the "sketch revolution" and find a branch near you! visit their site at www.drsketchy.com
you can also visit my husband Joe Rheault's blog to see some of his sketches from the session at www.dirtyinks.blogspot.com

1 comment: