Thursday, March 17, 2011

fairytale trees in the breeze

I would like to re-introduce my lovely fairy tale silhouette trees. They are from the background of the MarsCon t-shirt/convention booklet cover. The trees started out with just branches and no pretty foliage. They were looking kind of scary, like when snow white is running threw the forest and the trees are clawing at her dress. The feeling of the poster was supposed to be cheerful and magical so I did a little bit of research to figure out how to begin drawing in the leaves. With the rite reference shot for inspiration I drew more and more more leaves and branches. The trees started to look so pretty and very spring like, not so menacing any more.
This tree was used in the front. I think this may have been the first tree I drew from the series. The branches make such nice patterns. I am trying to think of what other applications I could use them for.
This tree was also used in the front. By layering the trees in photoshop and slightly changing the color it creates depth in the image.
These three trees were used behind the other two. They are a little less detailed because of how I had planned to layer them. All images as always on this blog are copyright Megan Rheault 2011.
All the trees were drawn on tracing paper, which is a favorite drawing surface of mine. They were first sketched in pencil and finished with ink pens. The very fine lines were done in point 2 or point 1. I hope to draw more of these enchanted forest trees. Maybe I will make up some patterns with branches or do another layered forest scene.

No comments:

Post a Comment