Monday, January 31, 2011

The great Ozma of OZ

This is one of the fabulous women that I drew over November and I am so very pleased with how she turned out. A friend of mine Kelly Brown is working on a comic series called Woe is Oz. He has asked a few artists to draw characters from the series, bringing their own style to each piece. The character that I was asked to draw is a grown up version of princess Ozma.
This is the final image, except the real one doesn't say pixiegirl studios. I have been drawing figures rather large lately and had to scale down my sketch to fit it on a sheet of 14x17 bristol. The drawing is in graghite, which I chose to pencil really darkly so it would look as if it was inked.

I have always loved the character of Ozma and I wanted to think of just the rite way to draw her to do justice to the lovely original inks by John R. Neil and of course the re-imagining of her character in Woe is Oz. I wanted her to look modern but still Victorian and definitely stylized with a teeinsie waist and large head. In my original sketch I had thought to do a background and border that would be a mirror showing her hands behind her, holding her staff. Perhaps a future painting is in order?!
This is my original little sketch on a scrap sheet of paper drawn in pen. I love sketches, they have so much energy!
 To find out more about artist Kelly Brown visit his site at  www.kellybrownillustration.com
To find out more about the ongoing comic book series Woe is Oz visit www.woeisoz.com

5 comments:

  1. Megan -- this lady is wonderful -- lots of life in her!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being sketchy is fun! I think she is pretty lively too, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have started a sleeve of oz characters on my arm. I absolutely love everything oz and found this image on google images. I would love to have your permission to put it on my sleeve. of course with your signature or logo on it as well. so? Thanks lindsey from Ohio

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH wow!!! I never saw this, as I stopped blogging for a few years. Gosh I love tattoos and I hope you went and got it! Let me know if you ever did, all these years later.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete