Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Papers at the ends

I am not sure who started the practice of maps on endpapers, although it was very clever and thoughtful of them. Some of the most charming ones I've found are in children's books. Having just looked at the endpapers in Winnie-The-Pooh, I was reminded of a reproduction I drew for a dear friend of mine. The drawing is my hand rendered copy of the endpapers that were found on the original Betsy-Tacy children's book series.

Here is my drawing as I worked on it at my desk. The map was about half done.

This is a scan of the map in it's entirety. It was done on handmade rag paper with my favorite mechanical pencil.

One day when I put out my own books I will be sure to have pretty endpapers with informative maps.

If you are interested in learning more about the Betsy-Tacy book series you can visit the Betsy-Tacy Society at www.betsy-tacysociety.org

You can also visit a previous post of mine to read a brief history of the Betsy-Tacy series and also read about my starting of a poster for the giftshop.   My Betsy-Tacy poster post link.

No comments:

Post a Comment