Monday, August 9, 2010

I can be sketchy...yeah

I am not a big sketcher. I tend to only sketch when I am working on a project.. in a way I like to have a reason to draw and for it to be really purposeful. But I do draw and I do sketch. What usually happens when I sketch is that it turns into an idea and I loooooove ideas. My mind runs away with ideas and wants to turn them into finished paintings and illustrations. So there goes my mind hand in happy hand with an idea and therefor....oooo that makes me think of an illustration. And that's the problem with sketches I get lost in them and they all want to turn into ideas. So if you think of every idea getting fully realized you understand that it can't, there has to be editing somewhere. There also has to be an understanding that it's ok for a sketch to just be a sketch. Because sketches are for learning, for growing, understanding, explaining, jotting down ideas, saving a thought from your mind............

So these are some thoughts. Mostly some sweet little somethings from my tiny notebook in my purse.


3 comments:

  1. Meg -- Every one of these is awesome! I am way into fairies, and if you ever want to sell your sketches of the fairies on your Hello Kitty notepaper, I will be in line to purchase! I really enjoy what you wrote about ideas. You express the magical aspect of art-making in a lovely way. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you so much for your generous comments!I greatly appreciate every single one. I am glad to have made work that is so liked!

    and renata you are supersweetwickedcrazcool...just so you know.

    ReplyDelete