Sunday, August 29, 2010

my small history of clean teeth


Animals need clean teeth too. At least that is part of the advertisement in this Colgate add from 1911. I found this little book at my local Barnes and Noble which has a wonderful used book section. The book is a rhyming sort of essay/ode to animals who come upon a tube of Colgate and realize how sparkly and healthy it makes there teeth. All the animals without teeth are saddened that they don't get to experience this new fad that is sweeping the jungle.



This is the book I just bought. See how cute yet informative it is! This is my favorite page spread. I especially enjoy the crocodile who is holding the large tube of paste. I must note as well that the these colorful illustrations are from the book "The Jungle Pow-Wow" by Jessie Imbrie Miller. It is copyright 1911 by Colgate & Co.

Not only do I love this book but finding it inspired me to show you a few of my favorite childhood possessions that have to do with the art of tooth brushing. In looking threw these ordinary objects around me I see that I have always understood the importance of clean chompers and I also realized how some of these objects have inspired me to integrate tooth brushing illustrations into the books I have worked on so far. I had never even noticed!

This is a picture from the book "Theodore Mouse Goes to Sea" where a brave little mouse sets out to sea to fill his life with adventure, but not before he brushes his teeth. It is a lovely book of the golden spine verity that was always a classic with me. Illustrations are by the great Lucinda McQueen, I gotta give props! Look her up she has done absolutely amazing illustrations threw out the years!
This picture was just used to give evidence to inspirations from childhood. Text copyright is 1983 by Michaela Muntean and illustration copyright is 1983 by Lucinda McQueen. It is a little golden book.

This is my childhood toothbrush holder which I have gracing the top of my jewelry cabinet. Although not currently in it's former use it is still loved and enjoyed everyday as I pass by it. I find that hello kitty always brings a touch of classic whimsy to any room, don't you?
Again this photo is used only to show the whimsical nature of my childhood influences. It is Sanrio copyright 1976 as all Hello Kitty items seem to be.


This is the retro poster I have hanging in my bathroom. It has always been with me even if sometimes in storage. I must have gotten it from the dentist when I was little and when I first started to date my husband I gave it to him to show how cool I was and he promptly put it on his wall(yay desired affect!) Kermit is always watching and sending his approving glance at those pearly whites. He always looks so cheerful, it makes you want to brush, floss, annnnnnd use mouthwash.
The poster is from 1985 in honer of national Children's dental health month. Kermit the frog is Copyright © The Jim Henson Company and is only used to show childhood influence.
 The last two pictures are my very own illustrations. They show my characters in their respective bathrooms brushing their teeth. When I went to do this post I knew that these pictures would fit right in. They would help me to write the post and make it personal (as this blog is supposed to be, i say.)

Both pictures have been illustrated by me and as with everything on this site they are copyright 2010 Megan Rheault of Pixie girl studios.
This is a pastel illustration from 2005. The book it belongs to, with some 39 large pastel images, remains unpublished. I am very proud of the work and am still amazed at myself when I look at the pictures. They are so pretty and the colors are so bright.


Here is my dear little cat creation that you may have seen in my previous posts. This picture is a pencil drawing that has been scanned into the computer and colored in photoshop. I intended this to be a color study with the final version to be done in pastel.
With the end of this post I can say that the subject of tooth brushing is something I hadn't really thought about. But then again seeing all of these images I realize I always had. So maybe we can be inspired to pay attention to the smaller everyday things or realize what we pay attention to - even though we think we don't.............
And may we all understand the importance of keeping the cleanness of teeth alive!

No comments:

Post a Comment